Best ways to ship frozen and perishable food
Sometimes shipping can be quite easy to do! All you have to do is pack your items properly, and let the shipping company handle them. But what happens when we have to ship froze and perishable food? Like many other items, they also require special care during transportation! Luckily, we wrote an article covering this particular topic just to help people who intend to ship food.
Before you ship frozen and perishable food – find what is the best freight option for you
When deciding how to ship frozen and perishable food, there are a couple of options you can choose from. And every option has its own set of rules we will explain to you later. You can choose between:
- Air freight option, which means you will transport by air
- Land transport by either bus, truck, or train
Every one of these choices has its benefits and downfalls. Whether it is the speed of transport or the price of it, it all falls down to what you choose to take
Benefits of choosing air freight option
When it comes to picking air freight option you need to know about it more. Air freight is very fast and transports directly to the designated cities airport. There are no stops or pauses during transportation. They will arrive on time and later on distributed by truck or another ground vehicle.
One of the benefits of air freight are:
- If you are in a hurry, then air fright is the right choice for you! It is very fast and right on time
- Air freight is delivered goods all over the world
- The routes plane take is direct without any side travels
- Your items are secured by the air freight company. Nothing can happen to it
If you want to ship frozen and perishable foods fast, then this is your best choice!
Ground transportation is mostly used for local or long distance shipping within one country. Especially when it comes to frozen and perishable foods. When you need to transport something locally then opt for land freight. The following are the benefits and downsides of ground transportation:
- In case of weather delays, it won’t take too long
- You can ship frozen and perishable foods in larger quantities
- It is way cheaper than air freight
Although they are cheap there are also some downfalls. Unless you pay extra or you fill the whole cargo bay, they will stop on the way to pick other deliveries as well. There are also possible detours since they sometimes can’t go directly to the desired destination. Also if it takes too long, your food may go bad. So, make sure you are 100% certain that this is the right choice for you!
Packing and shipping frozen and perishable foods
There are rules and regulations when it comes to transporting perishable food. If you have to keep it below 40 F, it is considered perishable. Other, more safe foods, are either baked or canned. The following guidelines will help you ship frozen and perishable foods.
- Always use sturdy and durable packing boxes or containers.
- If you need to keep low temperature, then ask for special temperature controlled storages!
- If you can’t get your hands on those storages, then pack food with dry ice or other cooling materials used in portable refrigerators. But make sure that the food will be transported quickly
- If you are using dry ice, do not at any moment shut the container. The dry ice evaporates and it needs to leave the box. So make sure you have an opening where it can come out. Also, you need to label it with “dry ice inside” so the cargo company will know!
Shipping food, especially perishables, is not an easy task. Every tip on how to pack and send frozen food is useful and you need to learn more about it!
Use sealed plastic bags to put your frozen food in it
When packing frozen and perishable food for shipping you need to think about one other issue as well. And that is, your food will melt during that period. Once you decide to send it, make sure you use leakproof plastic bags that can hold the water in them. If it spills it can harm other items in the cargo bay. This can cause damage, which you will have to pay for from your own pocket.
Check if you can transport food at all
No matter what you decide to transport you need to have in mind is it prohibited or not? Especially if you are shipping them to distant places. Perishable and frozen food may cause issues during transportation, so it is a good idea to know what you can and can’t ship! It can save you a lot of trouble when preparing the shipment. Also, you won’t have to think about whether or not your food will go bad. Make sure you know all the rules and regulations on international shipping before you ship frozen and perishable food.
Does the air fright company allow you to transport food
Last, but not the least, check http://maidinmorristown.com/ if you opt for the air freight choice, you need to ask the company about their rules and regulations. In order to ship your food, you need to follow their guidelines and laws regarding food transport. In any other way, you won’t be able to ship it. Reach your air freight company and ask them what are their transport policies you need to follow!
If you need to ship frozen and perishable food you need to take good care of it first! There are a bunch of issues that can cause serious damage to your packages and another shipment. Make sure you are 100% informed about proper packing as well as with laws and regulations on food transport! We hope our article helped you with your task!